Monday, July 13, 2009

DIY Potty Pants .... Yes I said Potty Pants :)

Well, my little princess has started potty training! Woohooo!! Tylie isn't quite 2 yet but she has been showing signs that she is ready to start training. She's been telling me when she needs a change and has even stopped, looked up at me and said, "I peein mommy" so I thought it was time to get started.




First we had to get her a potty so off to Target we went and Tylie picked out the Pink Princess Potty. It is so stinking cute! The best part it was only $22 which I love and when your princess pees it plays royal music. I think that is going to really help Tylie train since she will know right when she pees.





Then we had to get training pants and it you know anything about me you know that I am addicted to cute things so why not potty pants?
We started out with just the basic 3 pack of training pants from Target but then I got to looking online and found some super cute booties strutting posh pants and my Miss Tylie HAD to have some!



I'm a stay at home mom of 4 little monsters whos husband is an assitant principal at our local highschool so as you can imagine money isn't growing on our trees out back so I have to be frugal when it comes to Tylie's fashions. I was wondering around the Hobby Lobby checking out all the clearance junk they have I can play with and came across some iron on transfers for just a few cents! So I had a brainstorm..."why not put those on her britches?" And so home with me they came.

If you want to make your little one some cute potty pants, I can tell you that these turned out really cute but I learned some things along the way so learn from my mistakes so your potty pants will be perfect!






First, you need to wash your underwear before you iron on your transfers. The transfer directions told me this and I am glad I did because they shrink up a bit and would cause your transfers to be wrinkled and we don't want wrinkly booties.


Make sure you have an ironing board or other hard surface to work on. I have had my ironing board since the early 90's so as you can see my print is a bit drab but who really sees it anyways but you...that is until you decide to blog about iroining on potty pants.

Ok, let me explain this so you will understand...MAKE SURE your iron is not too hot! I learned the hard way and didn't realize my iron was on the 'hell fire' setting and accidentally burned 2 of my transfers. The sad part about this was I was using the cute printed pants first, like an idiot, and ruined those. They are still cute but the transfer didn't go on right and so some of the design is missing :( Now, if I actually ironed my clothes I might know what is too high and what isn't, but since I believe wrinkles are a fashion statement, I had to figure it out the hard way.





Now, with my iron on a lower setting I get back to work....make sure your transfer is even and if you need to you can trim so of the excess paper away to make it easier to see. This transfer just made me giggle cause a Chinese food take out box with Miso Cute above it was just too irrisistable! Don't forget to read the directions and follow them so you don't screw up. Your little one won't be cute if you have a burnt iron mark instead of a cute cupcake.














So then I got creative and mixed a couple together. The glitzy 'perfect' really popped out with some glittery rose buds. And I have to say, my little princess just is TOO PERFECT wearing these cutie patootie potty pants don't you? I love that little hiney climbing in to bed, makes me just want to pinch those cheekies.





How cute is that? Ahh, I love it! Ok, admit it, she is too cute for words! ;)



So there you go, Tylie is all set to jump on the potty train and get busy in style! Here are the finished products.
What do you think? I would love to see pictures of the potty pants you make for your little monster so if you make some, don't forget to share! You know what I love most about crafting? They don't have to be perfect as long as they are perfect for me!


Now, if you don't want to make your own cute pants then here are some REALLY adorable alternatives I found in some super cute Etsy shops! Are these not the cutest???
These cute floral embroidered britches come from a great little shop on etsy: PregnancyJournals.etsy.com
She has many other sweet designs so go check them out and if you like them, add her to your favs!






These all-in-one pants are cute too! QTBunns makes lots of adroable training pants for both girls and boys and I love the idea of not having to top off your cute potty pants with a plastic cover



And for the boys...how cute are these little monster tighties? hehe These are all organic bamboo pants and the print is, are you ready for this....OOGA BOOGA! Now if that doesn't scream cute? I don't know what does!!
These come from wooldins.etsy.com





2 comments:

Karen said...

You are right, Tylie is a cutie bug!

Ashley said...

Wow those potty training pants are Adorable!!! I love the glittery Perfect ones!