Sunday, July 19, 2009

There are times in a mom's life that she just beams with pride over something her child has done and for me this is one of those times! Last school year my middle son, Coby's school did a book fair to get new books for the library. They do this every year with Scholastic, but this year a seed was planted in Coby's brain. I grew up with a mother that encouraged me to be creative and I have passed that tradition on to my children. We have always had a 'craft' drawer or container with pom poms, pipe cleaners, construction paper, beads, and any thing else we find a good bargin on at the craft store. So it was no surprise to me when Coby asked if he could start making his own crafts with me when I made my hairbows.

At first it was just something we did together, he created oddities and I placed them here and there around the house but then one day he comes to show me his book mark he made. It was so adorable! He got his favorite book and put it inside to show off how great it works. I could almost see his brain storming as he grinned from ear to ear. "Mom, what if I made my bookmarks and sold them to people that need to mark their place?" "What a wonderful idea!" I told him, "What are you going to do with the money you make?" He thought for a bit and then said, "I could buy new books for my school library!" I am far from a perfect mom but somewhere I did something right with this kid and I couldn't have been more proud at that moment of myself...uh, I mean, him.
We sat down together and started a plan, who were we going to ask to buy them, how much should we sell them for, and what supplies did he need. Then he gave himself a goal of at least 10 new books for his school library. It was time to get started! He started out by making Flower Marks then he created Monster Marks, his best selling marks so far! We began by selling them to friends and family then I listed them in my online shop and before we knew it he had sold over $15 dollars worth of bookmarks. Friends started to share Coby Marks with their own friends on blogs and Facebook and then he had over $25. Even my customers started surprising me when they started adding them to their own orders. He was so excited and it’s been a great learning experience for him. I know by the end of the summer break he will defiantly have met his goal. Thanks to everyone who has supported Coby by buying his marks and sharing them with friends and neighbors.
Here’s what Coby has to say about his craft:
Hi, my name is Coby and I am 8 years old. I am in the 3rd grade. I love to make crafts like my mom. I love to read. I want to get my school some new books for the library. I came up with the idea to make book marks and sell them on my mom's shop to raise money to buy new books. I make all my book marks myself but my mom lets me use her stuff. Please buy a book mark from me. They are good for your Bible or a gift. Buy a bunch! I can make any color you want, just tell me. Thank you. NOTE from Mom: Please remember, my son makes each of his bookmarks himself with little to no help from me so that means each of your bookmarks may have small imperfections and differences which makes each one unique! There may be some glue showing or odd lengths to your ribbon, but it will still be long enough to use as a bookmark. I think these imperfections just make your one of a kind bookmark all that more special!! :)

If you would like to check out Coby’s Marks and order some of your own please visit www.piggytailsboutique.etsy.com and click on Coby’s Creations and place your order. Together we can not only help Coby with his goal but help a local public school get brand new books for their library! Get ready Mrs. Stewart, your going to be busy picking out new books this year!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You won one of my giveaways! I couldn't find an email address on your blog or your profile, so I sent the message about it to you in your Etsy account. :) Congrats!!!